Every year we take a week to appreciate our veterinary technicians and this year we are celebrating from 10/16 to 10/22! Veterinary technicians are the heart of the hospital and here are just a few reasons why they rock!
- They educate clients every day. It’s not just pets they love but their fur parents also and spend lots of time in the exam room and on the phone discussing a patient’s cares and needs.
- They are amazing phlebotomists! How many times have you gone in for blood testing and a technician hasn’t been able to find the vein? Imagine hitting a vein in a 1 pound fur covered kitten…..that takes a lot of skill.
- They are anesthetists and recovery nurses. Remember that video of the veterinarian singing to the recovering puppy? That’s a daily occurrence in the life of a vet tech. They sit and monitor vital signs during recovery and comfort pets as they come out of anesthesia.
- Technicians are dental hygienists.
- Oh yeah and they are radiology technicians also.
- Did I mention they are ICU nurses as well?
- Let’s not forget pharmacy tech. Technicians will spend as much time necessary discussing how medications should be administered and why they are being prescribed.
Veterinarians have known this forever – veterinary technicians are awesome! Please take a moment next week to say thank you to your vet tech for all that they do for your fur baby.